I love a new year – a fresh start, a new beginning, a clean slate. During this time, millions of people from all over are making their resolutions as a new year approaches…its exciting! There is something motivational about January 1.
Wikipedia’s definition of a New Year’s Resolution is as follows:
“a commitment that an individual makes to a project or the reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous.”
Last Sunday at church, Brian Brandt brought a great message. In a nutshell, he challenged us to reflect on 2009 and also set goals for 2010. To look back on what you’ve accomplished, successes and failures, and most importantly, your relationship with the Lord in 2009 – then think of things you can do to improve in 2010. He also spoke on the parable about the different types of soil – being “good soil” to absorb God’s word & producing a crop in our lives. I’ve been giving this some serious thought this past week and praying that God would reveal to me what I need to accomplish to be better in 2010 – to be a better wife, mother, and disciple.
So here it is…my 2010 resolutions. I have 3…spiritual and physical. I am putting them out there for the world to see…hold me accountable friends!
1. Complete honesty here…I have never read the whole Bible in its entirety. Very sad, but very true. Yes, I’ve read a lot of it through the years, mostly New Testament of course, but not the whole thing. I’ve been convicted that this is something I should get done in 2010. My “soil” is not as good as it should be…its just not. Well yesterday Ryan and I went walking through some new stores in town and I saw it. Everyday with Jesus: A One Year Reading Bible for the huge price of $5. $5 bucks!!! I bought it immediately. This Bible is cool because of how its broken down…so simple. Each day has a portion of Old Testament, some Psalms, some Proverbs, and some New Testament. Then at the end, there is a small devotional thought for you to ponder. Very cool. I have no excuse now. I look forward to starting this first thing tomorrow morning!
2. In 2009, we ran in 3 races – San Fran Half Marathon, Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot (8 miles), and the Dallas White Rock Half. In 2010, I would like to participate in at least 6 races. Hopefully a few more! As I have said before, I love having a race on the calendar, it helps to keep me motivated. Here are the 6 I’d like to participate in:
- Azalea 10K, Tyler – March
- Capitol 10K, Austin – April
- Race for the Cure 5K, Tyler – May
- San Fran Half – July
- Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot – November
- Dallas White Rock Half – December
I also want to purchase the book entitled The Non-Runner’s Marathon Trainer, read it & consider training for a full marathon. Please read that sentence again and notice I said consider it…I’m not committing myself just yet! The thought of saying that I am running a full marathon scares me. It turns my stomach. When I cross the finish line at a half, I can’t fathom going another 13.1. But, I’m not opposed to considering it and I would LOVE even more to be able to actually accomplish it, so we’ll see.
3. Another thing about church last week that has really been resonating in my thoughts…Jon Jenz, our worship leader, quoted a verse Jesus spoke in John 15:9…
“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.”
My goal in 2010 in to remain in His love. Showing love to my husband, my children, my family, and my friends is a given. Its easy to love Ryan – he’s the best husband I could ask for and makes my heart smile. Its easy to love my adorable girls – being a mommy to them is amazing. Its easy to show love to my sis, Jen – without her we wouldn’t have made it these past few years. Its easy to show love to my parents, to my brothers, to my family all over the U.S., to my friends. I am blessed to have such amazing people in my life! Its not hard to love these people. But, here is what I really need to work on…I need to show love to the lady checking my groceries at Brookshire’s, the waiter at our favorite restaurant, my co-workers, strangers I pass on the street, people in need. I resolve to do better at this in 2010. I want the words “remain in my love” to resonate in my thoughts daily. Less of me, more of Him. I want God to be the artist on my clean slate of 2010.
Happy New Year dear friends & family! I look forward to another year together.
All my love, Traci